You are needed...Join the VNA Health Group Volunteer Program! Enjoy the Satisfaction of Giving Back!
VNA Heath Group was founded by volunteers in 1912. Today, our volunteers continue to be an important complement to our health care professionals, administrators and office staff. If you have a few hours a week and a will to make a difference, we invite you to join our dedicated volunteers in service to our community.
The VNAHG volunteer program is led by a full-time professional who will help you discover and find satisfaction in the job that suits you best. Here are some of the ways you can help.
Become a Hospice Volunteer
Provide companionship, lend a listening ear, run an errand, prepare a meal, read a book, write a letter, share a laugh, treasure a memory or simply be a much needed and appreciated presence who allows respite for a loving caregiver.
Volunteer training classes are offered for anyone interested in working with the VNAHG Visiting Nurse and Hospice Service, a service that focuses on comfort, support and dignity in caring for the terminally ill. The hospice program seeks volunteers aged 18 or older to visit with patients and their families or to assist in office work.
- Provide Bereavement Support— A bereavement volunteer works closely with the professional staff providing support to the family for thirteen months after their loved one has died. A volunteer could assist with phone calls, help with the mailing of bereavement materials or participating in our annual memorial service and tree lighting events.
- Be a Comfort Caller—Volunteers make support calls to family members identified by VNAHG Hospice staff, providing a compassionate ear for patients and families. Through the comfort call program, volunteers reach out to patients and families via telephone calls to ensure that hospice needs are being met and provide comfort, companionship.
- Join Gloria's Crafters Volunteers—Gloria’s Crafters meet regularly and enjoy creative outlet to make a variety of gifts that enhance the comfort and well being of patients and families. Examples of gifts include, boxes with note cards for journaling memories, holiday gifts, and flower pens that are also used for community outreach. Volunteers also create commemorative items to give to families to honor patients at memorial services. This program is a unique opportunity for volunteerism at VNAHG. It gives those who are interested in hands-on activities a venue to be creative while providing service to our organization.
- Pet Therapy Volunteers and their pets provide the Pet Therapy Program in nursing homes and patient homes. This complementary therapy brings calm and enjoyment to patients and families.
- Provide other Complementary Therapies such as Massage or Reiki. If you have an interest or expertise in any of these areas, please consider sharing your talents as part of our volunteer hospice team.
More volunteer opportunities
- Seasons of Hope—The annual Adopt a Family Program benefits patients and families that are most in need by providing them with gifts during the holiday season. Volunteers assist in shopping, wrapping, and organizing gifts donated by the community. This program is a hallmark of our mission to keep hope alive in the hearts of patients and families and is widely supported and visible in the community as a positive aspect of our hospice volunteer program.
- Join us to form our Hospice Auxiliary—Support 'Gifts from the Heart Fund' founded to help meet patients' personal needs or last wishes that are not met by other resources. Volunteers assist with fundraising, events and special craft items.
- Sweet Ideas—The Sweet Ideas Program is a group of volunteer bakers who make homemade cookies to bring to patients and families at periodic intervals. The idea to connect care though cooking came from a hospice nurse seeking alternative ways to bring hope to families.
- Lend Your Office Skills—Volunteers provide assistance with administrative tasks in the office, including typing, copying, assembling admission charts, mailing, handwriting sympathy cards, bereavement mailings and preparation for trainings.
- Join the Thrift Shop Volunteer for the VNAHG Thrift Shop in Manasquan; ring a sale, sort and tag, and greet customers. For over 50 years thrift shop volunteers have committed their time to help raise money to care for those unable to pay for services. All proceeds from the shop support VNAHG programs and services.
- Help to Run Special Events— Assist with check-in, registration and greeting at events such as the Golf Classic, Holiday Designer Show House Tour, Children's Fair, and Holiday Tree Lighting, Health Fairs and flu clinics.
- Be a VNAHG Junior Volunteer! Volunteer youth groups assist in making crafts, participate in fundraisers, such as bake sales, that raise awareness of hospice and volunteerism in schools and have increased funds for the personal needs of patients. Scout troops have opportunities to earn awards though special projects such as the memorial garden planted by a girl scout troop at our Hospice Headquarters. Opportunities are also offered to youth to participate in group activities in facilities. Community service hours for youth are also available at our Children’s day event.
Bring the joy of volunteering into your life! Call Pauline DePalma, BSW, Manager of Volunteers, at 732-224-6933, e-mail at Pauline.firstname.lastname@example.org, or contact us.